If you had told me this time last year, 2016 would be the year I quit my corporate job to run my photography business full time, I would have said you were CRAZY and maybe even drunk. Of course, I wanted to chase my dreams and pursue my passion, but I am all about plans and those goals were a long ways away…NOT in 2016 for sure. For 2016, I was going for the slow and steady goals:
- Book 8 weddings.
- Photograph a same sex wedding.
- Photograph a proposal.
- Expand my knowledge in off camera lighting.
- Purchase another camera body.
- Purchase that crazy, big daddy lens I dreamed of the Nikon 70-200 2.8.
- Get published.
- Make a plan to go full time photog.
Then, something crazy happened. I more than tripled my wedding goals, checked off all the other goals, established a team of amazing second and associate photographers, business got so crazy I QUIT my corporate job and OPENED a STUDIO. After reading back all of that, I should be proud of myself I guess, but really I’m just thinking about the tough lessons learned, the hard work that’s to come and all the ways I want to improve my business for this year. Last year was great, but this year will be amazing!
- Host a client appreciation event. (Have ideas? I’d love to hear!)
- Photograph the love stories of 30 amazing couples throughout Maryland, DC, Virginia and beyond. (Just a few wedding spots are left until we are booked for the year!)
- Keep learning and growing as a photographer/business owner for myself, my family and my clients.
- Update the ol’ website and rebrand. Yup! Now that I have a true sense of my photography style: FUN, VIBRANT AND AUTHENTIC. It’s time for a change!
- Blog MORE. This is just one part of being a photographer that I LOVE, but sometimes, things get crazy around here. 😉
- Make a promo video.
- Finish that wedding magazine.
- Establish a routine in the office.
- Book more boudoir sessions in the studio.
- Celebrate 10 years of marriage with my boo and have some amazing anniversary portraits taken to document our love.
No one said this life would be easy, but darn if it isn’t worth all the hard work! Let’s make this the best year yet!
I’d love to hear some of your goals, too. Feel free to comment below!